Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Net Generation

We, born around 1990's, are in the middle of transforming of media.
When I think of my early childhood, I watched TV programs for kids or other stuff, but mostly, I was playing outside with my friends and family (mainly my dad and 3 years older brother).
However, the big desktop came to my house when I was 3rd grade in elementary school.
This was a big change for my family. Although the time we spend outside didn't quite change, we started to spend time with our computer a lot.
My dad and I competed which can type faster on certain things, or my brother and I played with online game.
When I was 5th grade, I got a cellphone because my brother got one, too.
I begged my mom to buy it because if I have one, it seems cool!
She was convinced due to the security things.
After that, I became not to be able to live without a phone.
YES, I was addicted to a phone.
Besides, I bought MP3 player by myself and started to play video game with my brother so that my life was surrounded with new media.
However, I don't think the new media has a bad influence on young children.
It can give us educational things and more information.
Many parents are worried about violation and indecent stuff, but now there are many security on online so that children will be protected.

I have just one concern. That is, young kids no longer play in outside. They don't know how to play sports or they luck of ability to play.
This is becoming a serious concern among Japanese people.

If they would know the balance between outside activity and inside one, that might work the best for younger digital generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment